The church is made of flint and chalk with stone dressings under an
old tiled roof.
The Norman church had a central tower which collapsed in 1703 and a
new tower was built at the west end in 1721, and heightened in the early
1880's. The tower holds eight bells. The oldest is one of the few
pre-Reformation bells still in use and may have first been rung at about
the time of the victory at Agincourt (1415).
From the lychgate the yew lined path leads to the late 19th century
timber south porch, built to protect the richly moulded 14th century
The nave opens out into the wide trancepts and the chancel is lit by
a large 15th century traceried east window.
To the right of the south door is a 12th century (probably Norman) stone font. Opposite the south door is a blocked doorway which,
before its blocking up, was intended for the Devil's exit during
baptism. This is a feature of many of the churches in the area.
The north transept is the oldest part of the church. The eastern
arcade of two bays was built around 1230. At the eastern end of the
transept against the north wall is the impressive monument of Sir Cope
D'Oyley (died 1633), his wife Martha and her ten children. Each of the
family is depicted as a kneeling alabaster figure; those children
holding skulls died before their parents.
In the south transept is a 16th century carved wooden panel which has
been incorporated into an altar. It is known as the Wolsey Altar as it
includes the Arms of Cardinal Wolsey and Bishop Fox.
In the churchyard to the north side of the church is the domed
Kenrick Mausoleum erected by Clayton Kenrick in memory of his father and
sister. On the east side of the north transept can be seen the outer
stonework of a 12th century doorway, possibly the reused west doorway of
the Norman church.