This famous church sits at the centre of a historic
Surrounded by brick and flint churchyard
walls, lined with ancient lime trees, the church can be seen from the
surrounding hills. It is listed Grade 1 which is
classified as being of exceptional interest.
The massive western Norman tower was built
early in the 12th century and has unusual twin gables - it is believed that
only one other similar construction exists in the country.
Each side of the bell chamber has paired openings
with semi-circular roll moulded arches. The tower once held two bells, only
one of which remains, dating from 1830.
The chancel has two chamfered lancet windows
to the north wall, two restored fifteenth century two- light traceried
windows to the south, and a 14th century "Decorated" style window to the
east. The church also has a reworked 15th century octagonal font with
There are smaller openings lower down the
tower, and a 13th century traceried window to the west. The tower is wider
than the nave. These two made up the original church with the chancel added
in the 13th Century.
The nave has impressive ancient woodwork to
the roof, with five sets of principle rafters with collar beams supported by
curved brackets and wind braces.
The exterior of the church is roughcast and
rendered a mellow ochre.